Elemental Technologies, the leader in software-defined video solutions, today announced that the Cinépolis KLIC transactional video on-demand (TVOD) service uses an integrated solution from Elemental and Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), an Amazon.com company (NASDAQ:AMZN). Cinépolis KLIC employs the cloud platform to tap into Mexico’s over-the-top (OTT) TV and multiscreen market – which is the fastest growing in Latin America with five million VOD OTT subscribers forecasted by the end of 2015 by research firm Dataxis.
The KLIC TVOD service complements Cinépolis’s position as the fourth largest cineplex chain in the world, with more than 830,000 seats. The company operates 506 cinema complexes in 13 countries including Mexico, India and the United States. The company uses its presence as a leader in luxury cinemas to promote its OTT service, offering creative promotions so theater-goers receive a free movie rental from Cinépolis KLIC.
“With Cinépolis KLIC, we are leading a new era of premium multiscreen and OTT content delivery in Mexico and across Latin America,” said Marco de la Cruz, Deputy Director of Cinépolis KLIC. “By leveraging the flexibility and scalability of Elemental Cloud, we can offer rich services without building a dedicated infrastructure while simultaneously accelerating time-to-market and avoiding large capital expenditures.”
The integrated AWS and Elemental solution enables Cinépolis KLIC to create a true TV Everywhere platform with movie delivery to customers on a full range of connected devices. The online service, which is available on numerous platforms, including Android, iOS, LG, PlayStation game consoles, ROKU set-top boxes, Samsung Smart TV devices, and Sony Bravia, is complementary to the Cinépolis cinema service because it offers different content and experiences. Cinépolis KLIC has more than 1,200 movies titles on offer, mostly blockbusters, and is expected to experience six-fold growth from 2015 to 2016.
Cinépolis KLIC uses Elemental Cloud to process source content from studios. This content is stored in Amazon S3 and delivered securely via the Amazon CloudFront content delivery network to the broad range of connected devices available in the Mexican marketplace. Elemental software-defined video solutions transcode video content for multi-protocol, multi-DRM delivery, which can easily scale in the cloud as Cinépolis continues its expansion around the world.
“Cinépolis KLIC is pioneering a new level of consumer experience in the theatrical content realm,” said Dan Marshall, SVP, Worldwide Field Operations at Elemental. “We are happy to play a role in supporting this effort as the Cinépolis KLIC service expands, both at home and around the world.”
Elemental at ABTA 2016
At the 2016 ABTA Expo & Conference (June 29 – July 1, Transamérica Expo Centre, São Paulo, Brazil, Booth 54), Elemental will showcase a complete set of advanced, software-based video processing and delivery solutions optimized for the cloud. Highlights include:
• Live channel playout (master control) and dynamic input switching (live stream to VOD) in the cloud for reduced hardware requirements and video infrastructure costs;
• Progressive file reading from Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3) to accelerate file transcoding in the cloud;
• Cloud bursting with Elemental Server to temporarily increase and scale back transcoding resources as demand fluctuates;
• Video delivery anywhere through seamless integration of the Amazon CloudFront global content delivery network (CDN) service and the Elemental Delta video delivery platform;
• Dynamic server side ad insertion (SSAI) for increased personalization and monetization in the cloud via Elemental Delta integration with the Ooyala ADS (ad decision server) using VAST 3.0.